Caring for your Garage Door
Caring for your garage door and opener is critical to ensuring its smooth, quiet, reliable operation, and in most cases is necessary to ensure your warranty remains valid. If you need help past these small maintenance tips, please contact us.
Caring for your Garage Door: Every 3-6 Months you need to Check
Rolling Doors: Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits. Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface, allowing the felt runner to glide more easily.
DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL ON THE GUIDE TRACKS.
Sectional Doors: Should be cleaned as per rolling door instructions, but do not required polishing of the internal guide tracks.
Steel Hinges: Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil. Also lubricate wheel to axle bearings.
Plastic Hinges: No lubrication is generally required, however silicon spray may be used if necessary.
Wipe over with an oily rag, where you can access.
Your lock does not require special maintenance, however if the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended. Do not grease the lock.
Lubricate with Chain Lube.
Checks we recommend
- Effort required to manually open and to manually close the door should be about the same (if door has an automatic opener, put into manual mode before testing door)
- Look at Lifting cables for wear through by rubbing. If there is fraying or signs of corrosion contact your local service technician. These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by professional service technicians.
- Check all screws, nuts and bolts to ensure they are secure
- Spring Tension: It is natural for springs to lose tension. Should the door become hard to operate or completely inoperative, contact your local expert service technician.
Cleaning your car… clean your door!
If you have Colorbond and Colored Steel Finish Doors – it needs regular cleaning.
- Wash the door with clean water and a cloth
- Every 14 days is recommended
- Wash more frequently if you live in salty or industrial fallout areas.
While your coloured steel door has been pre-painted with a silicone modified polyester formulation, which is one of the best paint films available today. However good a product may be, all exposed surfaces require some attention to guard against corrosion and any other harmful atmospheric effects.
NB! Do not wash the automatic garage door opener – it will void the warranty and could cause electrocution.
Caring for your Garage Door: Every Year
To keep your door running well, it is recommended that your door be serviced by an experienced technician, every 12 months or earlier if required.